Stage 2: Forward Facing
Convertible or 3-in-1 car seat, in forward-facing position
Combination car seat, used with harnessing and installed as a car seat
- Forward-facing car seats must be installed with the LATCH/UAS strap or seat belt and a tether strap
- A forward-facing car seat is required until your child is a minimum weight of 18 kg (40 lbs). Even if your child is 18 kg (40 lbs), as long as he/she is within the weight and height limits of the forward-facing stage of his/her car seat, the forward-facing position with the 5-point harness straps is safer.
Harnessing your child in a forward-facing car seat
- Use the harness strap slots that are at or above your child’s shoulders
- Position the top of the chest clip at armpit level.
- Once buckled, tighten harnessing until only one finger fits between the harness and your child’s collar bone.
- Make sure the harness straps are flat and not twisted.
Installing a forward-facing car seat
- Always read the vehicle and car seat manuals before installing a car seat
- All vehicles manufactured after 2002 have the option of installing a car seat with a LATCH/UAS system or seat belt – choose the one system that offers the tightest fit
- LATCH/UAS installation: read your vehicle manual to find out which back seating positions have the LATCH/UAS anchor (many vehicles only have this system for the outer rear seat locations). All car seats come with a strap with LATCH/UAS hooks to attach to the vehicle anchors. Read the car seat manual to find out where to thread the strap through the car seat and how to properly connect the hooks to the anchors
- Seat belt installation: read your vehicle manual to find out how to use the seat belt to tightly secure a car seat. Some seat belt systems require you to use a locking clip to hold a car seat tight – use a locking clip only if the vehicle manual specifically says to use one.All forward-facing seats must also be installed with a tether strap, attached to one of the designated tether anchor locations in your vehicle. Refer to your vehicle manual for tether anchor locations (vehicles manufactured before 2002 may need to have the anchor installed). Never fasten more than one tether strap to a tether anchor (unless permitted by the vehicle manufacturer).
- For LATCH/UAS or seat belt installations, to help get a tight fit, push down on the car seat (or the infant car seat base) while tightening the belt and the tether strap. Once installed, the car seat should move no more than 2.5 cm (1 in.) where it is belted.